Thursday, June 18, 2009

Ghost sketches


Howdy Gang,
I realize it's been quite some time since my last post, but really...isn't it always? So two things...no, three. Actually, there may be more than three so I'm just going to get into it.

One: Me and Ashley have a house now and we're in the process of rendering the kitchen...less-wood-panely. That's a word. I looked it up. We're almost done...and by almost done I mean we need to repaint the kitchen AGAIN because we don't like the blue...and there are several cabinets left to be painted and put back on their magical hinges. You'll all have to come visit soon. I'll post pictures when the work's all done.
Two: I will be posting later tonight pictures of a sweet sweet gift bestowed unto me by two students who I will no longer have the privelage of teaching and who will be returning to the legendary tutelage of the legendary Joel Priddy. I'll save all the sappy verbal goodness for that post...but trust me when I say it's sappy and full of goodness...and ROBOTS!
Three: I've decided to try my hand at some pencil submissions of the Dark Horse character GHOST. She dresses all in white like a ghost and carries twin handguns like a ghost and goes around shooting up bad guys in a vengeful way like a ghost. I've only read a few of her comics, but I'm pretty sure that was the general plot...that apart from her cleavage. I'm pretty sure the comic was mostly about her cleavage. My GHOST is a bit more conservative...at least in dress. I got rid of the little lacy window on the chest/abdomen of her suit because really, what purpose does it serve outside of reeling in 12-year old male readers? I think it would be nice to continue to show her shoulders so there's a moment of contrast when the scarf thingy...at least that's what I think it is...drapes across said shoulders, but I may still end up covering her clavicle and upper chest so that when the cape/cloak is down she's completely white. A word on that cape/cloak/hood/scarf thing. I cannot for the life of me figure out the mechanics of that thing. I have no idea how it stays on. I'm guessing at it's construction in my sketches. I think the scarf attaches to the cloak and that's how it stays on...because it sure as $#*t doesn't tie on and it isn't like your average hooded cloak. No sir. It's like some sort of modified nun's habit or something. Anyway, to make a long post short (too late) these are my sketches. Just warm ups and screwing around mostly. I've downloaded the 8 page sample script from Dark Horse's website and am going to pencil it up and take it to Wizard World in Chicago this summer so as to get feedback from some industry folks. I'd love to snag myself some fill in work on a book and maybe get the proverbial foot in the door.

8 comments:

michelle said...

She is looking pretty awesome, I like the changes you've made from the original. Her face has a lot of personality too. That's great that you are going to submit it, good luck!

Shof Coker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shof Coker said...

Nice Shane,and yea I have to agree that usually once a hood and shoal are in a character's design,real world physics have to take a stroll. Anyway, I haven't read the comics either but I looked up her usual design and I'm glad you dropped the lace up corset thingy, which is simply gratuitous. The face you gave her also looks more believable and striking than her current design. Well, goood luck putting together the comic Shane.

Lighthouse Pilot said...

Thanks, guys. Hopefully, I'll actually get started on the layouts this week. Once that's done I'm going to try to make some progress on the moon story. How are your summers going??

Stewbacca said...

Hey when is Wizard World this year? Maybe if we have our house by them I can still go. Looking forward to seeing your Ghost continuity stuff.

Kayla Cline said...

AHH you are making me want to draw right now so hardcore. But sleep is important too. Especially during sickness.

But i think you also forgot that cleavage is a necessity for every ghostly apparition, along with the aforementioned gun toting.

Matt Danger Ryan said...

I bought an inking book that featured Ghost as done by a few different artists. At the time, I thought she was ficticious, but apparently she isn't. Maybe I should pull my head out of the sand and have a look around every once in a while... Very nice stuff, Shane. If you gut picked up by the publishers will you still have time for us? I ask, hat in hand and a tear of neglect in my eye.

Lighthouse Pilot said...

Silent Rip, Wizzy World is Thursday August 6 through Sunday August 9. I'm taking off the 5th and 10th and I think we're going to head out sometime Tuesday night (the 4th) I think we'll be there 5nights. It should be SWEET. You think you guys can make it??!!

Kayla,I hope that by the time you read this...and by the time that I've responded...you're feeling MUCH better so you can get to drawing! When someone tells you that your drawing makes them want to draw - it's like the greatest compliment...unless, I guess, it's because you think their drawing looks like crap and you want to show them you can do it better. That's not so much a compliment.

Matt Danger Ryan, don't be silly and wipe that tear of regret out of your eye! I'll always have time for you guys. I love love love teaching. So as long as MCA needs me...I'll be there.